Monday, June 1, 2015

Event 1: Hammer Museum's Lauren Bon & Metabolic Studio

This was such an interesting experience because when I first walked into the room, everything was completely dark except for moving light shadows peeking behind the curtain. I walked behind to see what was creating the ripple effect. I noticed that there was something pulsing inside a glass bowl containing water and a lightbulb inside.

At first, I couldn't really tell what was going on. However, after examining exactly what the different components were in this art piece, I learned that the ripples were being created from sound waves, generated by a speaker.



What was the message that the artist is sending me?

Here is my thought process:

1. Lauren Bon wanted to incorporate water into her piece, but to make it come alive.

2. Therefore she needed something to make the water "flow." Bring movement to this still liquid form.

Then I asked, but WHY?

3. Thinking back to the title of this presentation, "Metabolic Studio." hm? consume. breakdown. energy.

4. Using my schema and background knowledge... we are in LA, currently in a drought, could it be her vision to spread awareness?

Then I read the pamphlet.

"The Metabolic Studio practices on physical and social brownfields—places that are incapable of supporting life."

I think this is an amazing piece that helps to portray the lack of water in places far from access to big bodies of water. The pulsing effect generates a force to help push water to those cities who don't have this access. The light, water, and sound waves, come together to create this feeling that interprets Lauren Bon's message. In places like Southern California, Nevada, and Arizona, water is pumped into these desertlands. It makes me think... wow how are some of the nation's biggest cities sustainable in the middle of the desert?




No comments:

Post a Comment